Businesses invest in employee advocacy to expand the reach of their brand on social media. When employees use their personal social networks to promote and publicize their employer on social media, they help to drive brand awareness, improve brand image, build a loyal audience, and generate new leads.
But there’s also an important side benefit to employee advocacy: it improves and strengthens relationships and collaboration among peers. Indeed, the inherently social nature of social media extends to the employees who work together to create and run advocacy campaigns that advance strategic business interests. Here is a look at the key ways advocacy promotes improved peer relationships and collaboration:
- Advocacy transforms company culture: social media advocacy allows employees to play a key role in a strategic business endeavors – that is, building the company’s public image on a very public platform. Participating employees become empowered to work on a core initiative that everyone recognizes will influence brand reputation and influence on social media. The creativity, teamwork and innovation that stem from this initiative are transformative for the business; indeed, the employees thrive in this more collaborative, social and transparent company culture.
- Advocacy merges employees’ personal and professional lives: Many businesses expect employees to keep their personal social networks personal, meaning they can’t be on social media during work hours. Employee advocacy turns this paradigm on its head as employees make use of their personal social networks to advocate for their employer on social media. When employees are able to merge their personal and professional lives, they develop an entirely different attitude and outlook toward their employer and one another. What was once a fun but prohibited personal activity becomes an essential, collaborative part of their daily job responsibilities.
- Advocacy enhances customer service skills: Part of doing advocacy well is developing an insightful, friendly, supportive and appropriate social media voice. When a business invests in helping its employees to become effective social media advocates, the skills and professionalism they bring to their advocacy spills over into all other customer service-oriented aspects of their job.
- Advocacy provides a new path to professional success: Employee advocacy plays a central role in popularizing a brand on social media, and employees who do it well should be recognized for their success in this highly collaborative endeavor. When employees get the recognition they deserve, it inspires both them and their peers to continue to strengthen collaborative relationships so everyone can succeed.
- Advocacy engenders mutual respect among peers: Employees who stand out as social media advocates are the ones able to become respected authorities and experts in their industry by sharing content that educates, informs and entertains. When these thought leaders develop a following on social media and begin to transform employee advocacy all on their own, it engenders mutual respect from peers, which in turn creates new opportunities for peer mentorships and collaboration.
Advocacy is a win-win for both employers and employees. When a business invests in training its employees in the art of social media advocacy, those employees benefit from a transformed company culture, integration of their personal social media use into their workplace duties, and better customer-service skills. Employees also have an opportunity to demonstrate professional mastery in a new role and to gain mutual respect from their peers through thought leadership.
Schedule a demo with us today to see how EveryoneSocial’s social media sharing platform can help your company in its advocacy efforts.